Visitantes

jueves, 22 de octubre de 2015

Interview: Matt Barlow


Author’s note: if you want to read the Spanish version of the interview, go here.
Nota del autor: si quieren leer la versión en español de la entrevista, vaya para acá.


The constant evolution of the Metal genre has led to a wide variety of styles; nowadays you can see how this music it’s divided in lots and lots of subdivisions. It’s almost staggering, if you think about. But this has also led to not seeing many classic Heavy Metal groups succeeding in the scene –groups that follow and expand what Maiden, Priest or Accept started in the 80s. Then in the early 90s came the only band that I think has truly found success in the genre while playing a bit more developed version of the style created by those bands; I’m of course talking of the American combo Iced Earth. The group led by rhythm guitarist Jon Schaffer has gone through to thick and thin to keep the type of music that they loved and to found musical success; one of the key reasons for said success was Matt Barlow’s brilliant and personal vocals. And as a fan of the band for many years, it’s really a privilege to talk to the voice of such underrated classics as Burnt Offerings, Dante’s Inferno, The Hunter or Dracula.


Matt’s name will always be strongly linked to his now former band but he has already achieved a status as one of Metal’s most talented and skillful vocalists to come up in the scene in the last two decades. Despite not being a full time musician anymore, he is still working on new projects, being the Ashes of Ares band the newest one. A police officer and a dedicated family man, I took the time to contact Barlow and see if we could do an interview; I can gladly say he was extremely proactive and really reachable which, as a big fan of his, was truly satisfying.
As I was trying to interview the former vocalist of Iced Earth and Pyramaze, I collected questions from readers of the Blog about different points of his career. So we talked about his influences, his time and opinions on Jon Schaffer’s band, his different projects and a couple of interesting questions from the fans. I hope you enjoy it.



KT: first of all, how did you get into Metal music as a young man?
MB: I was first introduced to Metal by my older brother. He brought home all of the first stuff on vinyl.


KT: Yei Hernández from México asks: which are your Top 10 favorite albums of all time?
MB: It's a little too tough to break down a top ten list. Some of my favorites are: Ride the Lightning, Screaming for Vengeance, Piece of Mind, Moving Pictures, Operation: Mindcrime, Holy Diver, Mob Rules, Forbidden Evil, Cowboys From Hell, and The Black Album. You guys can figure out who the bands are. :-)
KT: Mario Marín from Spain asks: do you have any vocal training?
MB: I have had some vocal training, but I don't currently. I do my best to keep my range as strong as I can by myself.


KT: which vocalists influenced your vocal style? You certainly have a wide range.
MB: I have had a lot of influences. The above mentioned albums can give you some idea of that.


KT: obviously, most metalheads are familiar with you because of your work with Iced Earth but, were you in other bands before that?
MB: I was in a band, with my brother, called Cauldron. It was a good experience for writing and performing.
KT: how you became an Iced Earth member?
MB: I met Jon through the band's drummer at the time, Rodney Beasley. IE needed a singer after Jon Greely left the band, and Rodney suggested that Jon give me a shot.
KT: if I'm truly honest with you, your first work with the band, Burnt Offerings, ranks among my Top 10 favorite albums of all time. It's also one of the fans's most beloved works. Tell me a bit about the making of that album and how did you get the ideas for the music?
MB: I didn't have anything to do with writing the music on Burnt Offerings. I did write some lyrics and melodies for a couple of tunes.


KT: how hard was to promote the band in America? You certainly had a following in Europe, but in the States you were more of an underground band.
MB: That's true. It was tough getting through in the US. We eventually started to do some touring and got the name out a little better that way.


KT: for The Dark Saga album, how did you come up with the idea of a Spawn based concept album and why you moved to a more melodic sound?
MB: Well, Jon got the idea to do the concept after we started getting into the Spawn comics. I'm not sure that the more melodic direction was intentional, or if was just something that happened naturally. It just worked.


KT: many fans see the Something Wicked This Way Comes as the band's commercial peak. Of course in Iced Earth terms. What can you say about that album and that particular time?
MB: It was a really great time doing that record. I think you can hear it in the final result. I can't really say if it was IE's commercial peak. I think IE is still doing pretty well.

KT: Horror Show would end up being your last album in your first period with the band. In that one, you changed to a much more Power Metal style. Was the change intentional or was it just a natural progression from the past albums?
MB: I would say that it was a natural progression. We were just trying to represent the horror character in the best way possible. I think it turned out the best we could have done it.
KT: why did you leave the band to become a police officer?
MB: there are many reasons, but what it boils down to is FAMILY. I would not have been able to have and provide for a family staying in IE. I have been able to provide for my family and community, and that's pretty damned cool!


KT: Ray Kinsch from United States asks: as a police officer, have your ever arrested someone who recognized you?
MB: fortunately, I have not. That would be weird, don't you think?


KT: Charby Tanza from Venezuela asks: do you miss long hair?
MB: not as much as I thought I would. It's all about priorities.


KT: Francisco Mendoza from Mexico asks: there's a rumor going on that you recorded vocals for the track Gettysburg from the first Iced Earth album with Ripper Owens, The Glorious Burden. Is that true?
MB: no, that's not true. I did record the songs prior to Tim joining the band, but I don't think any of that stuff is out there. That is probably for the best.


KT: what do you think of the Iced Earth albums with your replacements, Ripper and Stu Block?
MB: I think they are really good. Really great vocalists!


KT: Ervin García from Venezuela asks: would you ever join Jon Schaffer on a side project or would you at least do a track in a new Iced Earth album, considering you're not going to join the band again?
MB: I really don't think that would be an option at this point.


KT: let's talk about your life outside Iced Earth. How did the Pyramaze thing come up and what do you think of the album you did with them, Immortal?
MB: I really dig the album, and the guys in the band. It was a great experience for me and they gave me a lot of room to be creative and do some different things.


KT: I heard the debut album of your new project, Ashes of Ares, and your voice sounds as good as always. Is there a second album in the works?
MB: we are working on another record right now. We were on hold for a while as Van's family has been busy with some things, but we're getting back on track.

KT: how is your routine when you're not touring?
MB: I have a career and a family. My life is full! :-)


KT: you certainly are a musician with a lot of experience -you have been in the scene for almost 30 years. Can you tell us one interesting anecdote from all those years?
MB: not sure if it's an anecdote, but I look back with fond memories of the 1996 Dark Saga Tour. It was the first time I met Van, and has proved to be a pretty important experience.


KT: and finally, can you leave a message for your fans and our readers?
MB: thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! Without folks listening and supporting the music, I wouldn't be able to keep doing it. You guys are great!!!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario