Visitantes

lunes, 19 de octubre de 2015

Interview: Leather Leone from Chastain



Author’s note: if you want to read the Spanish version of the interview, go here.


Nota del autor: si quieren leer la versión en español de la entrevista, vayan para acá.





Female vocalists have become something of a normal thing in Metal’s current scene. As the years go by, there are more and more females excelling as the frontwomen of several highly regarded bands in the movement. Obviously, it wasn’t always like that and there are some women who should be thanked for starting to empower young girls everywhere to get into this music and making it a much more heterogeneous genre.





One of those important figures is the undervalued singer of the equally undervalued Heavy Metal band Chastain, Leather Leone. This band dates back to the decade of the 80s and they released some seriously talented works back in the day such as Ruler of the Wasteland, The 7th of Never or The Voice of the Cult, among others. They displayed a brand of powerful Heavy Metal with David T. Chastain’s guitar wizardly and Leather’s aggressive vocals as the focal points. Sadly, the band never amount to become a household name but they are rated highly in the jungles of the underground.





The band it’s back now and they have a new album called We Bleed Metal. I took the liberty to contacted Leather to see if we could do an interview and I can happily say she was pretty willing to do it; she answered all my questions (which were many, I must admit) and she was extremely polite in the entire process. I couldn’t ask for more. Without further due, this is the interview with vocalist from Chastain. I hope you enjoy as much as I enjoyed doing it.





KT: take me to your beginnings. What attracted you to Rock and Metal music as a young girl? What made you want to be a singer?


LL: I don't remember one specific incident that brought me to music. It was always in me. My mother was always singing; there were always records playing. It was always in my life. I sang in my church choir, plays. I was the one who would volunteer to sing anything in front of anyone.



KT: why did you choose the nickname Leather Leone?


LL: the name Leather came from when I was in college outside of New York City. I became friends with a woman who owned a motorcycle clothing store. I spent every last penny on leather clothes, which is quite ironic considering I no longer eat or wear leather.  My name is Catherine, so people started calling me Cathy Leather. I at that time had started to sing in bands so it seemed to work. When I came to California..... Leather just stuck with me!!


KT: which singers influenced your vocal style?


LL: Ronnie Dio, Bruce Dickinson and Geoff Tate.



KT: can you name your Top 10 favorite albums of all time?



LL:
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath


Rainbow Rising - Rainbow


The Devil You Know - Heaven and Hell


Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath


Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden


Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin


Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd


Crime of the Century - Super Tramp


Rumors - Fleetwood Mac


2112 - Rush






KT: why Rude Girl and Malibu Barbi didn't work out?


LL: Rude Girl was a bunch of young crazy metal heads just discovering the musical world. We all learned and grew in the San Francisco Metal scene. But when it came down to real business it failed miserably. The lack of respect for people’s time, the control issues, it came to an end. I was actually the one who put the brakes on. To this day I feel no regrets about it. As far as Malibu Barbi is was never my band. I was asked to do vocals on 2 songs and I did. That was my only relationship with them



KT: how was the Metal scene back in the 80s for women? Did you find it hard to stablish yourself as a serious musician?


LL: I get asked that question many times... I never noticed any more of a struggle than any other band trying to make a name for themselves. But you must understand I was not involved in the business end. I was plain and simply a Metal vocalist recording and playing as many shows as I was offered. The gender issue is never one I spend time even thinking about... I preferred to be the best I could be... that was always my main goal. The music business is incredibly hard for everyone!!


KT: how did you meet David T. Chastain and how the band itself came together?


LL: I met David Chastain through Mike Varney (Shrapnel Records) who had become a friend just by association. The San Francisco Metal scene was very close knit. He had always been a mentor and a true believer in my talent. When Rude Girl split he turned me on to some Chastain music which I demoed. Varney was at that time responsible for finding many guitar shredders. David Chastain being part of that discovery, of course. Within one year the completion of that demo tape, Mystery of Illusion was created!!!




KT: in previous interviews, you mentioned the great musical chemistry between David and yourself. Why do you think you guys work so well together?


LL: I think the reason Chastain and I worked well was due to having the same feeling and belief of Metal music. I was attracted to his different melodies and his unique soloing. I enjoyed his mythical ways of lyric and harmony. It was true Metal, but at the same time dissimilar to anything out there. He was serious about a female front, which was bizarre in the 80s. And as all of us metalheads know it runs deep inside of us few... We Bleed Metal!!!



KT: Ruler of the Wasteland is highly regarded as Chastain's best album and one of the best Metal albums with a female vocalist -some even say it's the best. It's certainly my favorite of the band hahaha Can you tell me a bit about the recording of that particular album and that particular time in your life?


LL: recording Ruler was a long time ago. It was like every other record, it is a true blessing to have the opportunity to record material that people want to hear. It was fresh in my career as Chastain, so of course very exciting. But it is always spectacular when you get into the studio. It’s magic!





KT: which is your favorite Chastain album of your first stint in the band?


LL: I don't have a favorite Chastain record... They all have good and bad moments. Although I must say We bleed Metal is holding my interest still!!



KT: why do you think the band didn't make it big time?


LL: It was never a priority for David Chastain to make it big in business terms. Him being the band leader, led the way.





KT: how do you feel about your 1989 solo album, Shock Waves, and why you never made another one?


LL: I loved Shock Waves but, honestly, it was just a business move for Roadracer to get Chastain to do For Those Who Dare on their label. It was never taken seriously and was never promoted. That being said I think it was one of my better moments in the studio.





KT: why did you leave Chastain in the 90s and what do you think of those albums without you?


LL: I didn't leave Chastain; it was an amicable vacation. David and I were tired; I did realize that we had opposing ideas of touring, so it just happened. We were not on big demand so no one really noticed. The Chastain records he made without me I have only recently heard. They are cool yet unlike Chastain.



KT: what did you do during all that time out of the band?


LL: When I left music I got into animal medicine and Pitbull rescue. Just as challenging as Metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



KT: what do you think of the current Metal scene? Any band you particularly like?


LL: I don't particularly listen to new Metal. But what I do hear on the radio is killer... I love the aggression. Otep, Benedictum, White Chapel, catch my ear!!!




KT: tell me about Chastain's present. The new album sounds killer and you seem to be in pretty good shape. You still got it hahaha 
LL: The new Chastain album, We Bleed Metal, is the most exciting project since our first Mystery of illusion. The songs are strong, the vibe is new.
I fucking love this new record... David and I hit a cosmic time in space... It just flows and draws you in!!!! It happens once in a while when you record!

KT: would you like to come to South America in a tour?
LL: David is done touring. As Leather I am trying to tour everywhere possible. I hope to hit Brazil again this year, so let’s keep our fingers crossed.



KT: looking back on your career, is there something you would do differently? Do you have any regrets?


LL: I have no regrets, but I do wish I would have taken things into my own hands a bit more instead 
of trusting that those around me had the same plan in mind.



KT: what inspires you? What is your reason to keep making music and touring?


LL: unfortunately, the passing of Ronnie Dio brought me back to an inspirational place. His leaving struck such a cord in humanity, and the Metal community that I had to say something. I have said in the past that inspiration came knocking at my door again. He was a fiber in my soul and I can only honor him through song! We miss and love him.



KT: finally, can you leave a final message for our readers and your fans?


LL: my message to all of you who have continually listened and supported me is Fucking Thank you. It is all for you. It is all for us to keep waving our flags... You mean everything: We Bleed Metal is for you. Stay with me always. Find me at my Facebook page. Keep updates on the release at our official site.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario